Tuesday, April 7, 2009

More Than We Can Handle?

People, including myself a few years ago, can be very cynical about the cliche "God doesn't give us more than we can handle." I was feeling buried way under more than I could handle in my first years of marriage and caregiving to my husband (the caregiving followed close on the heels of the wedding!). But the more I got to know God and the more I trusted Him to guide my life, and the more miracles I saw in my life to help me cope, I realized that God doesn't give us more than we can handle, BUT BUT BUT the catch is: we have to handle it with God. He doesn't allow more bad stuff to happen to us than we can handle WITH HIS HELP. Because, with God's help, I have been able to handle it, and the less awful it has become and the more blessings I see in my life and my marriage to my very mentally/physically impaired husband. And I have gained a lot of emotional growth and self-respect. The only credit I take for what I have accomplished physically and emotionally over the years is that I have allowed God to help me and have constantly asked for His help - He has performed miracles day after day - and on days when I get really down, I know that He will lift me up somehow - because it has happened time and time again.

No comments: