Saturday, May 23, 2009

The MRI Vacation

You know you're a Well Spouse when you have an MRI and feel like you're on vacation!

Last week I had a breast MRI just for screening purposes (because my mother died of breast cancer), and it came out fine.

Once I got over the fear of dying from being injected with contrast dye (I was warned that death is possible from an allergic reaction, although it's never been reported!), I turned myself over to God and decided to enjoy the half hour of lying still. It was my first MRI, but I was not afraid of claustrophobia or the noise - I'd watched my husband have MRIs and it didn't seem that bad - no pain involved. And, it was kind of nice to be taken care of by all the attending medical technicians - just as long as I was not really sick.

So, into the narrow dark tube I went, putting everything from the natural world out of my mind, breathing rhythmically and peacefully, taking full advantage of this separation from caregiving, finances, chores, and all the woes of our troubled society. I kept yielding myself up to God, without any resistance, feeling sure that if the MRI did not come out well, it would be God's will and He would lead me through whatever I needed to deal with.

If I thought at all about this world, it was a few minutes of imagining I was lying on the beach and the MRI noise was the ocean rumbling beside me; the beach is my favorite place, and my husband's illness has kept me from "my" beach for years.

As the MRI ended and I rolled out of the tube, the attending technician asked if I were okay - I said, "Yes, it was like a vacation for me." She didn't know I was a caregiver, nor did she know anything about my less-than-charming daily life, so she probably thought I was some kind of nut. But I felt rested, peaceful, and cared for!

3 comments:

wellspouse said...

A great way to handle an MRI - as a medical "vacation!"

Darlene said...

I enjoyed reading your blog. I am in a similar situation. I am the total caregiver for my 71 yr old husband. We are married 43 yrs. He has multiple sclerosis affecting his brain and totally physically disabled. He is on a PEG tube so I don't have to cook for him. The love we have makes it more bearable. Giving it to God works wonders. I certainly appreciate reminders of this because sometimes we forget. You write so very well. Good Luck. Darlene R Taylor

Terri C. said...

Thank you Darlene. I am glad to hear that God is helping you also! The more we can share about God's work in our lives, the more our own faith is built. I agree with you that love makes it lots more bearable. I'll keep you in my prayers, and I wish you peace and many manifestations of God's love in your marriage!