Friday, September 11, 2009

Depressing? Duh!

In the past few years, I've pretty much been in the "new normal" phase of caregiving - that is the phase where a well spouse has made some peace with the spouse's illness and has established a livable daily routine, with only intermittent crises.

The Lord has answered my prayers of years ago by filling my life with blessings, friends, and things to keep my mind busy and distracted from focusing on Vince's illness. So I go along pretty smoothly, with God's grace of course; however, every now and then I just get down, run out of steam, and I guess you'd just call that "depressed." It doesn't last long, and I have learned that it won't, so I don't get upset by it. That's when I stop and realize what I am really living with. I tell myself - Hey, my husband has a degenerative illness; he can barely move; he barely talks; and I have to take care of all his needs (with home health aides, of course, which can also be problems!) - we can't do anything together - NO WONDER I'M DEPRESSED!!! The miracle is that I'm not depressed all the time! And that miracle is by God's grace.

So if I feel temporarily down and out of commission, I cut myself slack because it is really very awful. Of course there are zillions of people with worse lives, but having a husband who always was and always will be practically lifeless is difficult!

I'm not depressed right now - I'm writing this because I think about it often, so thought I'd put it down. It's exercise time, and thank God I can still do that!

No comments: